GENERAL JOB DESCRIPTION:
The Engineer-in-Training works in a dynamic collaborative environment assisting a team of engineers and technicians in designing and producing a variety of bridge and structural projects, under the direct supervision of a licensed engineer with clear and specified objectives. Job location is 811 Barton Springs, Austin, TX, 78704.
- Under direct supervision, design bridges, culverts, sign supports and other highway related structures using TxDOT manuals, standards and policies, and AASHTO Specifications and procedures.
- Provide engineering supervision to CADD draftsmen and technicians in daily work activities associated with project plan development.
- Under direct supervision, use design software like Bentley OpenBridge Modeler, OpenBridge Designer (LEAP Concrete, LEAP Steel), PG Super, STAAD Pro, Midas Civil, CSI Bridge, and TxDOT bridge programs to perform engineering analysis and design on bridge elements.
- Perform QA/QC on bridge layouts, construction plans and detail drawings produced by CADD technicians.
- Perform detailed calculations for quantity takeoff of concrete, steel and other items for cost estimates.
- Checking calculations and QA/QC plans by others.
- Assist in review and approval of shop drawings for structural components.
- Perform calculations and develop plans for field change requests from TxDOT.
- Assist in conducting field visits to perform site assessments of bridges throughout Texas.
- Perform related bridge and roadway work as assigned.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering, Master’s Degree in Civil Engineering Preferred. Structural or transportation emphasis required.
- Zero to five years of industry experience in engineering.
- Experience in the design of TxDOT Bridge, structural projects, and roadway design experience
REGISTRATION, CERTIFICATION OR LICENSURE:
- Texas EIT Certification.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Career minded, proactive, critical thinking problem solver with a desire to grow professionally as we continue to grow our company.
- Knowledge of engineering principles, techniques, and procedures of applicable laws, regulations, and rules.
- Knowledge of AASHTO LRFD.
- Some familiarity with the following software applications: OpenBridge Modeler, OpenBridge Designer (LEAP Concrete, LEAP Steel), Bentley MicroStation, PG Super, Bluebeam, Midas Civil, CSI Bridge, STAAD Pro, Adobe, and GEOPAK.
- Ability learn Bentley OpenRoads and OpenBridge software to develop designs of transportation projects.
- Ability to learn to produce 3D geometric designs for horizontal & vertical geometry for bridges, culverts, retaining walls and embankments, and cutting cross sections and detail sheets.
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft office software such as: MS Word, Power Point, Excel.
- Ability to communicate effectively.
- Passion for all types of bridge engineering and the drive to perform structural engineering for heavy highway and bridge projects.
If you are interested in this position, please complete the following form and attach a Cover Letter and Resume.