GENERAL JOB DESCRIPTION:
The Sr. Bridge Design Engineer will work integrally and collaboratively with a team of engineers and technicians in designing and producing a variety of bridge and structural projects under the direct supervision of the Team Leader. Great client service capability is a must. Technical specialization and proactivity are encouraged. Job location is 811 Barton Springs, Austin, TX, 78704.
- Work collaboratively in a team environment to accomplish task assignments related to schematic and PS&E bridge design for a variety of transportation projects, with a focus on TxDOT work.
- Provide engineering supervision to EIT and Project Engineers. Supervise CADD draftsmen and technicians in daily work activities associated with project plan development.
- Use design software like Bentley OpenBridge Modeler, OpenBridge Designer (LEAP Concrete, LEAP Steel), PG Super, STAAD Pro, Midas Civil, CSI Bridge, and TxDOT bridge programs to perform engineering analysis and design on bridge elements. Answer questions and solve issues for less experienced staff.
- Lead design of complex steel plate and tub girder bridges, overhead sign bridges, foundation elements, retaining walls and other bridge and highway structures.
- Lead production of 3D geometric designs for horizontal & vertical geometry for bridges, culverts, retaining walls and embankments, and cutting cross sections and detail sheets.
- Assist members of project design team with engineering programs, design tasks and tools.
- Initiative to implement improvement of project quality and technical capabilities of team.
- Preparation, modification and submission of bridge drawings, layouts, and other visual aids, following project scopes, budgets and schedules.
- Calculate plan quantities, costs of materials and estimates.
- Lead QA/QC for bridge and structural deliverables.
- Conduct field visits as needed.
- Perform related work as assigned.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Master’s degree in Civil Engineering (Structures) with emphasis in bridge design is required.
- Five (5) + years of bridge design and analysis experience.
- Experience in the design of TxDOT bridge and structural projects. Roadway design experience a plus.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of engineering principles and practices. Familiarity with TxDOT Manuals, policies and procedures, local rules, regulations, standards.
- Excellent working knowledge of AASHTO LRFD. Ability to use TxDOT Bridge Design and Detailing Manuals and follow TxDOT Policy.
- In depth working knowledge of bridge and transportation software.
- Foundation and retaining wall design experience and a working knowledge of LPile.
- Railroad bridge design experience is a plus.
- Good working knowledge of TxDOT Standard Specifications.
- Desire to learn TxDOT proposal writing, interview process, writing scopes and setting fees. Ability to apply this knowledge to Houston HCTRA and City / County contracts.
- Excellent transportation management skills.
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft office software such as: MS Word, Power Point, Excel.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Passion for all types of bridge engineering.
- Possess a “can do” attitude with the ability to take initiative and get the job done.
If you are interested in this position, please complete the following form and attach a Cover Letter and Resume.